Wednesday, January 19, 2011

01-19-2011: Luperon -we'll miss you!

Yes indeed, we've enjoyed our time here in Luperon.  The people are friendly, the prices are great and the anchorage is very protected.  Margaret found a couple of friends at the dinghy dock:

Speaking of dinghy dock, it is a bit rickety, but serves the purpose:



The dinghy dock is adjacent to the Government dock (click on the photos to see them full size):

And here's a view of the anchorage, from Dance Aweigh:

While in the anchorage, your every need can be met by Papo & Handy Andy.  They supplied us with water (local & drinking), ice & diesel.  They even cleaned Dance Aweigh's bottom ($1 a foot = 40 bucks US):

The walk up the paved road from the dock to town is quite scenic:


The town itself is a bit rustic to say the least.  The roads are all dug up - they say they are putting in sewer lines, but it looks like it's been that way for a while:

Steve's is up the road, on the right, and all the cruisers come here for internet - that's Spencer, Kathleen & Brandon:


Well, Chris Parker (our Weather Guru) says that we have a very good window Friday night to Monday morning.  We (6 or 7 boats in all) plan to depart Luperon Friday evening, heading for Puerto Rico.  If all goes well, we arrive in Boqueron, P.R. Monday morning.  If we're too pooped, we bail out at Escondido or Samana in the D.R. 
As all cruisers will tell you, the best part of cruising is the people that you meet.  So, here's part of our gang aboard Sabbaticus:

And here's party time aboard Dance Aweigh:

5 comments:

  1. Captain and Queen - I've really enjoyed the trip - thanks.Glad you saw our "long time" friend Alan and thanks for all the photos. Would love to see some countryside and the bus. Have a great sail to PR- I think there is a King Fish or Mahi Mahi in your future. DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dingy dock is a vast improvement, we had to climb up the stoney pier!!Having fuel and water deliveried to your boat-what,are you serious!! A cart on the dock?? The roads look the same. I always marveled at the curbs but no roads.
    Make sure you stock up on rum! I naturally recommend Brugal Anejo Extra Viejo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I was there. I hate to miss a party. Reminded me of Jr. High with girls on one side & boys on the other aboard Dance Aweigh.
    Nancy & Carl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting shots of the towm. Hope the weather stays favourable. Have a safe trip to Puerto Rico. Look forward to the next blog. Take good care, Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just imagine myself walking down the street in Luperon. It gives me a calm, "Blast-from-the-past" 1950s Jamaican Village 'feel'! What a difference to all the stress and bother of life-in-the-city/USA. Also the anchorage is idyllic. I really envy your laid-back existence! By the way - Do you guys ever stop partying? Enjoy!!/Bill ('n les).

    ReplyDelete